Zucchini Cakes with Mushroom Ragout
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tb Olive Oil
1/2 of a medium Zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
8 1/2 oz package of Corn Muffin Mix
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 tspn Cayenne Pepper
12 oz assorted Mushrooms, quartered or sliced (4 1/2 cups)
1 cup drained, bottled, Roasted Red Sweet Peppers
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat 12 muffin-pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine zucchini, muffin mix, cheese, milk, egg and cayenne pepepr.
3) Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake 11-14 minutes or until golden brown.
4) Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
5) Add mushrooms; cook 4-5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionaly.
6) Season with Salt and Pepper.
7) Place roasted red peppers in blender, blend until nearly smooth.
8) Arrange 3 corn muffins on plate with mushrooms and pepper sauce.
- It's easiest to shred zucchini while holding the entire zucchini, don't cut in half.
- I couldn't find 8.5 oz muffin mix, so I added about 1/3 cup of cornmeal mix to my 6oz package.
- I used Shitake and Baby Bella Mushrooms, but the shitake is a bit too chewy, I would suggest going with other mushrooms. The Baby Bella was great!
- Roasted Red Peppers are in a jar! Not dried, not fresh, but in a jar. Normally found with olives, pickles, etc.
- Takes about 20 minutes, very quick and easy!