25 February, 2009
Smoked Mushroom Stroganoff
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Servings: 4
8oz. Wide Egg Noodles
1 & 1/2 lb. Mushrooms, sliced
(Button, Cremini, Shiitake or Bella)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
8oz. Sour Cream
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 & 1/2 tspn, smoked Paprika
1/4 tspn Black Pepper
1 cup Vegetable Broth
Snipped, fresh Parsley
1) Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; keep warm. (or they get sticky)
2) In a large skillet cook mushrooms and garlic in hot oil over med. heat for 5-8 min or until tender. (reduce heat if mushrooms brown quickly)
Remove to bowl with slotted spoon and keep warm.
3) For sauce, combine sour cream, flour, paprika and pepper. Stir in broth slowly until smooth. Add to skillet.
4) Cook and stir until bubbly; cook 1 min more.
5) Serve mushrooms and sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley.
I'm not a mushroom fan, so I sprinkled the dish heavily with salt and pepper afterwards.
I put the freshly cooked noodles in a bowl and covered with plastic wrap to keep moisture in, same with the mushrooms. I put it in the microwave to keep warm.
I would probably saute 4 garlic cloves instead of 2 next time, I love garlic!
I am going to make it as a side dish for chicken or steak next time.
11 February, 2009
Do you ever have weird things happen?
I was standing in the washroom (back side of house) when a white grocery bag flew through the air towards the house.
2 minutes later I walked into the bedroom (Front side of house)and saw a brown grocery bag fly through the air.
I think I'm being invaded!
10 February, 2009
From Marlene's Kitchen
1 1/2 sticks Butter
1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1) Melt in small saucepan on medium heat while you assemble turnovers.
2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced into eighths
2 cans refrigerated Cresent Rolls, (8 rolls per can)
1- 12oz can Mt. Dew
Nutmeg and Cinnamon
1) Place your slices of Apple in a plate and sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.
2) Grease a 3" deep baking dish with butter or oil.
3) Divide Cresent Rolls.
4) Using one roll each, wrap apple slices and place in pan.
5) Once your butter and sugar has melted, mix well and pour over turnovers in pan.
6) Pour can of Mt. Dew over turnovers.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min or until golden brown.
8) Serve with Vanilla Icecream
I made 1/2 recipe in pictures.
Delicious! Serve immediately, does not store well.
8 cups fresh Broccoli florets
8 oz. Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese, 1/2" cubes
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tspn Cider Vinegar
2 cups fresh Strawberries, quartered
1/4 cup sliced Almonds, optional
1) In a large bowl, combine Broccoli and Cheese.
2) In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar.
3) Pour over Broccoli mixture, toss to coat.
4) Gently Stir in Strawberries.
5) Sprinkle with Almonds.
6) Serve immediately.
I normally make half the recipe for just Andrae and I So that I won't have left-overs.
Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
New take on an old favorite!
Makes 2 sandwiches
1 loaf french bread, sliced into 8" sections, and cut lengthwise
8 slices Mozzarella Cheese
2 Large Plum Tomatos, or Roma, sliced 1/4 inch
2 Tbsp. minced, fresh Basil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1-4 cup Olive Oil
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1) Mix olive oil, Parmesan and Garlic Powder.
2) Brush oil top/bottom slices of bread.
3) layer with cheese, tomato, sprinkle with vinegar, salt & pepper, top with cheese, top slice of bread,
4) Cook in panini maker or george foreman grill until golden brown.
06 February, 2009
Patchwork Pot Pie
2 cup Turkey or Chicken Breast, cooked and diced
2 cup frozen diced potatotes with onions/peppers
2 cup frozen Mixed Vegetables
1-4.5 oz jar sliced Mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1- 12 oz jar Turkey or Chicken Gravy
1/4 tspn Dried Sage Leaves
2 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts (Two in each package)
1) Heat oven to 375; spray 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, mix all ingredients; spoon into casserole dish.
3) Unroll pie crust. Cut into 1 1/2 inch wide squares.
4) Cover top of mixtures with pie crust pieces, overlapping each piece.
5) Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and edges are bubbly.
04 February, 2009
From Tamie's Kitchen
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 Onion, chopped
1- 29oz Tomato Sauce
1- 14.5 oz Diced Tomato
2- 15oz Kidney Beans
4 Tbsp Chili Powder
1)Brown meat and onions.
3)Add Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomato, Beans
4)Add Chili Powder, add more for tongue-burning fire.
5)Heat thoroughly and serve with corn bread and Tabasco sauce.
I prefer Three Rivers Cornmeal Mix for a dish like Chili.
03 February, 2009
Tangy Pulled Pork Sandwiches
1 lb. Pork Tenderloin
1 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, optional
2 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
1/4 tsp Pepper
4 Sesame Seed Buns
1) Cut Tenderloin in half; place in slow cooker.
2) In a small bowl, combine next 7 ingredients.
3) Pour over pork; cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
4) Remove meat; shred with two forks, return to slow cooker and heat through.
Great served with a can of Bushes Honey Baked Beans and frozen (cooked) French Fries...particular Texas Crispers....they're delicious.
This recipe is really delicious. It was created in 2008 by the US Olympic committee as a healthy and energizing food for the US athletes.
Chicken-Apple Salad Sandwiches
1 Rotisserie chicken
1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup dried Cranberries
1 stalk Celery, chopped
1/3 cup Red Onion, chopped finely
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
8 slices of whole grain bread
Fresh, sliced strawberries
1) In a large bowl, shred chicken with forks.
2) Add apple, cranberry, celery and onion.
3) In a small bowl, combine Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Lemon Juice and spices.
4) Stir into chicken mixture.
5) Spread bottom slice of bread with layer of strawberries.
6) Spoon salad onto bread/Strawberries
Green Chili Beef Burrito
3 lb. Beef Chuck Tender Roast (or any tender, lean roast)
2 cans chopped Green Chilis
1/2 med Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, sliced
1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
3/4 tsp. ground Cumin
1/2 tsp salt-free Seasoning Blend
1 cup Beef Broth
24 flour tortillas, warmed
Chopped Tomato, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese,
Sour Cream or Ranch, Salsa
1) Cut meat into large chunks, place in slow cooker.
2) Top with next 6 ingredients.
3) Pour Broth over all.
4) Cover; cook on low for 8-9 hours.
5)Remove beef; shred with two forks.
6)Place 1/3 cup of beef on tortilla, top with vegis and sauces.